Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Event-ual-lee

Ok... Today let me tell you about one of my colleagues at the office, let's call him Mr.O to avoid any defamation suits that may come my way if I told you his name was Oskar Hugenthobler (oops..).For some reason unknown to me he is particularly fascinated with the word 'eventually' and he has even developed his own unique style of saying it. First comes the 'event' part which is a grand event in itself, each syllable as crisp as a San Darshini masala dosa(for all of you who dont know San Darshini, it s your loss, the dosas are really crisp and the vada-sambar is quite awesome too). This is followed by a momentary pause for good effect which gives you the eerie feeling that the next few words out of his mouth are going to be the answer to all of life's unanswered questions and as you wait with bated breath out comes the remaining 'ually'. Ofcourse there is a sense of anticlimax and a feeling of being let down(I mean, there you are expecting the whats,whys and hows of crop circles, Bermuda triangles, women and all the other confounding mysteries that plague mankind and all you get is a measly 'ually'. Who wouldnt feel let down?), but, it sure is a pleasure to hear him say it.




Atleast it would be, if he didnt say it so goddamn often Now it just gets on my nerves. Irrespective of circumstance, situation or conversation he always manages to throw in (quite a) few 'eventuallies'. For example:


Me: O, could you please tell me why he has made this modification to the design?
Mr.O: He has done this because I don't know why, but i will ask him and we will find out eventually.

Me: Ah, so what changes do you want me to make in the Bill of Materials?
Mr.O: Well, eventually you will have to change it manually.

Me: Ok. What about the drawing? Any modifications required?
Mr.O: Eventually just make sure you show a section view so that the hidden screws can be seen eventually.
(By now apart from making a section view to show hidden screws i plan to eventually thump him on the head with a view to tighten his)

Me: Ok, thank you.
(Begin to leave hurriedly before I try to execute my murderous plan)
Mr.O: And please let me know when you are finished so that i eventually check and release the documents.

Ofcourse there are times when i purposely try to get him to say the word, which really is not all that hard as the following conversation reveals from when our coffee breaks coincided once:

Me: I heard it rains in Switzerland in March?
Mr.O: Yes, eventually it does.

Me: So when will it get warm?
Mr.O: Eventually.

Me(trying my best not to burst into a guffaw and managing to constrain it to wry grin): I cant wait for the weather to become better. I want to do so much travelling then.
Mr.O: Ya, ya. All the flowers are blooming then and eventually it will be really beautiful.

(I begin choking on hot coffee and end up with a burnt tongue)

Now that my interaction with him has increased since he is the one who assigns me work presently, sometimes i feel that I have begun to use the word too often as well. Maybe this entire post is just an outlet for my addiction, but you know I am sure it's just my imagination playing tricks on me. I am sure I won't feel the same way when i get used to it, eventually.......


P.S. Sorry about providing all that free publicity to San Darshini earlier in this post. I had written that part just before lunch and as you must have guessed, food was the only thing on my mind. If anyone who works for San Darshini is reading this, please pay up(unless you are the guy who makes the dosas, if so, thanks for all the dosas).















1 comment:

Asher Reid said...

lol...i tell you man...you should really do this...totally loved it...okay, time for me to eat breakfast at anand bhavan...