Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 1, Zagreb, Meeting with a Hired Assassin


The flight from Zurich to Zagreb was just one ham sandwich and a glass of coke long. We were landing even before I realized we had taken off! I first thought that the captain was just kidding but the flight is actually only that long.
Met a friendly American chap from Los Angeles, who surprise surprise, came and spoke to me because he saw the Lonely Planet guide in my hand. To all solo travellers looking for some company, my advice to them is to carry a LP in their hands. Within a minute someone is sure to come up to you and ask you about the stuff LP recommends. Anyway this chap said he works in some geo-politics thing, said he works for different governments on short term basis and has an 'independent contract' which gives him the freedom to work how he wants. His work has taken him to Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan among other places. I suppose you must have reached the same conclusion as I have by now. He has to be a professional killer!! Anyway he was on his way to Sarajevo he said, so if there are any readers from there, and you are important, if you die in the next few days dont tell me I didnt warn you! We took the bus to the central station together after which he split to Split (he he..you can tell how much i wanted to use that phrase, cant you?).

I headed to my hostel, a quaint little thing at the outskirts close to the football stadium,called Ravnice. Had a late start to the morning after a good night's sleep and have been exploring the city since when i decided it s time to give my poor legs a rest. Zagreb is a heady blend of Eastern and Western Europe. There are examples of lovely baroque architecture and glum looking residential buildings, typical of eastern Europe all rolled into one.

The popular pastimes in the capital city include renovating buildings, driving in reverse all the time, parking on the pavement and abandoning vehicles in the middle of busy streets. The number of buildings getting a work over is simply astounding. Unfortunately, these also include some of the tourist attractions so I have't been able to see them in their full glory.

Considering that Croatia and Turkey are not really 'chaddi dosts' ( Turkey have been trying to invade Croatia since the medeival times and in the modern times, most recently in Euro 08, they have proven to be Croatia's nemesis in football) , there seem to be an awful lot of Turkish kebab restaraunts. The same is the case in Switzerlnd as well. I am convinced that kebab is the cornerstone of the Turkish foreign policy.

So , what have i done today? Visited the main churches of course, apart from roaming the streets of the old town and Maksimir, which is apparently the largest and most beautiful park in South East Europe. Also, visited the Mirogoj cemetery which is the most beautiful cemetrery in the world (yes, they have a beauty rating for cemeteries too it seems). It's outer walls are built like a fortress with giant cupolas on them . I dont know why though? Not like the people housed inside need any protecting, they are all protected by God now. I suppose it's a back-up just in case God fails. Also hunted for a place to cut my hair, bought apricots and cherries from Dolac fruit market and also this notebook called Moleskine. It's tagline says, 'the legendary notebook of Hemingway, Picasso, Chatwin'. I suppose they should add, 'and now also by a wannabe blogger'. The cost was a bit steep, but I like it, especially the elastic band and leather binding. But for me to hope that it improves my writing is taking it a bit too far don't you think?

Anyway, my hour is almost up now. Need to go resume my hunt for a salon/saloon or whatever and visit Lotrscak Tower for a 360¨panorama view of the city. Leave by train tonight to Split.

No comments: